12/16/2004

ridonkulous

I'm not much of a fan of reality tv. I get reality everywhere I go, why would I want it on tv? Anyway, there's this one reality show, WifeSwap, I think, on one of those major networks. The premise is that you take 2 wives of different norms, and put them in each other's families for 2 weeks just to see what would happen. This particular week, there was a switch of a wife from a super laid-back, leather jacket wearing, messy house-having, rebel family switched with a fundamentalist Christian. Each wife had to do things the family's way for one week, and the next week, the wives could impose their rules upon the house. It was interesting to see how flexible the Christian wife got to be with the rebel family, and how they warmed up to her. It was also interesting to see that, even though there was plenty of resistance to her rules, the children didn't seem to mind the outcome, and even the father liked some of what she did. However, the rebel wife did not get such a treatment. She did warm up to the kids, of course because she didn't make them do anything. But, here comes the surge behind my angst. The Christian father/husband dude was all about making the "new wife" do all the same things his wife did, and having everything go his way. When she fell out of line or didn't do things exactly his way, he flew off the handle. He apparently was used to having his way or the highway. He did not let up on any of his rules, and sat back and pouted like a 2 year old. In the final interview, he was called out on it by everyone else, and he not only did not defend himself, but just left the interview, case closed. The only thing I could think was, "If I wasn't a Christian, and this is the only way I saw Christianity protrayed, then I wouldn't want any part of it. If being a Christian is being so uptight and uncompromising about anything, then they can have it." What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes perfect sence Professor longhair now all you have to do is can that logical thinking then get a flashy label and sell it at a health store. you could make enough money to buy a new lamp becase the green one on the desk has a HUGE chunk missing righ there in front.

Laje Kahr said...

I don't get the other guy who commented at all...
But I do think you have a valid point. Even if it's a hard one. The balance of living life under God's standards versus doing what looks good to other people. I didn't see the show so I don't know if he was justified in his actions, but it seems doubtful from your description.