11/04/2007

releasing the hate

Wow, it's been a super long time since my last post here, but I've had plenty of notes put into my daughter's blog .

Anyway, so something has changed, aside from all of the everyday changes that have occurred since our trip to Boston. I've never been a fan of baseball, and still really am not. However, Jessica and I's tour of Fenway Park changed the way we thought about the Boston Red Sox. We decided to start keeping up with them almost before the regular season ended, hearing that they tied with the Indians as having the best record in the AL (maybe in the MLB). So naturally, we got caught up in the race for the AL title. Just like in 2004, they were down 3 games in the ALCS, but won 4 in a row. Also, just like in 2004, they swept the opposing team in the World Series to capture their 2nd title in 4 years. Pretty sweet huh? But I digress to the real reason for this post.

Since I started going to college at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, I began which grew into an eventual hate for LSU. I couldn't stand the fact that they were getting so much money (to recruit for their football team,etc) and UL wasn't! I also hated that there were so many people from Lafayette that supported LSU that didn't support UL.

Anyway, I'm over that now. In 2000, with the name change from USL, UL became a state school, allowing more money to flow from the good 'ol boys in Baton Rouge. It was naive to think that UL was the only school that got screwed over by the government, and I'm certain that every state has their own UL. So, I've moved on, and can let go of the hate I held on to for little-to-no reason. I still love my Cajuns, but I won't begrudge LSU for winning the National Championship, given they play well enough. They've been upgraded in my opinion to good standing, but don't look for any bumper stickers, t-shirts, banners or the like on my person.

So, here's to you, LSU. Good job beating your old coach in their own town.

1 comments:

Drew Caperton said...

Funny. I was having a similar conversation with Josh Mauldin and he was saying the same things you were. There might be hope for me someday... someday.